Traveling with Girl Scouts prepares girls to take on the world around them, whether it’s a mountain to scale or a new metropolis to explore. When Girl Scouts travel, they learn practical skills for the wildest of adventures, skills they carry for their rest of their lives abroad or otherwise. Exploring your own neighborhood; going on overnight camping trips; flying to one of the four World Centres; when you travel with Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana, you’re expanding your horizons.
If you’re considering the beautiful snowy alps of Switzerland someday, on a council or troop trip to Our Chalet, or you just want to have a cultural experience without going too far from home, here are a few ideas to get you dreaming about Switzerland travel.
- Our Chalet is located in Adelboden, Switzerland, a Swiss Alpine village in the Bernese Oberland region. It’s known for the ski resort of Adelboden-Lenk, host of the FIS Ski World Cup. The central village church dates from the 15th century. Outside of town, at Engstligen Falls, several Alpine streams join together to become the Engstligen River. Farther north, the river forms the deep, narrow Choleren Gorge, which is accessible via bridges and walkways. To explore more about Our Chalet in Switzerland, check out the WAGGGS website.
- Load up your bikes or plan a walking day to explore Swiss architecture, food, and more in New Glarus, Wisconsin (about two hours from Chicago). Read more about this Swiss-influenced city!
- A short trip to Rockford, Illinois (just an hour and a half away from Chicago), you will find the Tinker Swiss Cottage Museum and Gardens. Take the guided tour to learn more about the family and their love of Swiss architecture!
- Are you a “foodie?” Try the most iconic dish in Switzerland: Raclette! It is different from fondue, and the Swiss with be impressed you know the difference!
- You will probably see and hear the alpine horn when you are in Switzerland. Watch this video and enjoy the music of the mountains.
We hope you get to explore Switzerland soon, but go ahead and explore what you can in the Chicagoland area!
Join WAGGGS and some incredible speakers, including The Honorable Maryam Monsef, Canada’s Minister for Women and Gender Equality and Rural Economic Development, as they come together to discuss appearance-based discrimination, low body confidence and self-esteem.
Join the event live on YouTube on March 18!
While we wait for safer travels, there’s no reason a girl can’t dream! Get inspired by our travel blog posts!
- Thank you for supporting Resilient, Ready, and Strong Girl Scouts at Tribute to Achievement
- The History of Girl Scout Week
- Support Girl Scouts at Tribute to Achievement
- The History Behind World Thinking Day and Girl Scouts
- Meet the Class of 2022 Pinnacle Awardees!
Help make travel adventures like these possible for more Girl Scouts through the GCNWI Travel Scholarship! Scholarship funds provide girls facing financial hardship with the resources to plan and pursue travel, from council-sponsored day trips to international journeys through the Destinations program. Together, we can help Girl Scouts become more knowledgeable, compassionate citizens of the world through global programming and travel opportunities.
4 thoughts on “Adventure to the World Centres: Our Chalet Switzerland!”
Very much appreciated. Thank you for this excellent article. Keep posting!