Saturday, Nov. 2, 5:30-8:30 p.m.| Camp Greene Wood, Naperville, IL
It’s finally getting chilly out there, and Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana has some fun lined up for girls this season!
Pumpkin Smash and Fall Festival at Camp Greene Wood
Get ready to SMASH SOME PUMPKINS! Girl Scouts of all ages are invited to join us for the second annual Pumpkin Smash and Fall Festival on Saturday, November 2 at Camp Greene Wood. Drop your pumpkin from a ladder, go at it with a baseball bat, shred it up like Billy Corgan… whatever you decide to do, you will help us in the effort to divert compostable materials from landfills! This is the perfect opportunity to get rid of your old jack-o-lanterns, let out some frustration, and do good for the planet all at the same time!
You’ll also get a chance to participate in some post-Halloween spooky activities (because Halloween should be all year-round anyway) including:
- Time around the campfire enjoying hot chocolate and cider
- Getting your own fall cornucopia cone
- Making caramel apples at the caramel apple bar (with tons of yummy toppings)
- Taking photos with family and friends at the Fall Photo Station with fun props and backdrops
- Applying fun temporary tattoos
- Participating in fall themed Minute-To-Win-It Challenges, a variety of fun opportunities for girls to race against their friends or family to fin a small prize
- Making three separate crafts, including a Fall Fabric No Sew Scrunchie, a Pinecone Turkey, and a Fall Candle
- Going on one of two exciting hikes: a fun, non-scary glow-stick illuminated Glow Hike, and a Spooky Hike, where we hope to get a scare out of a few girls!
Register to attend Pumpkin Smash Fall Fest on Nov. 2 5:30-8:30 p.m.!
To be clear, the community is more than welcome to just smash their pumpkins with us, or drop them off and we’ll smash them for you! Everyone is welcome to join us around the campfire at the Program Center for a hot cup of something and information about our upcoming Green for Good Expo.
More Than a Smash
We are so happy to be partnering once more with the organization SCARCE Every year they help us organize this event and encourage other organizations and groups to host their own Pumpkin Smash events to promote composting.
Food composting is more than just having a great time smashing some pumpkins–– it has real world implications for the health of our environment. When food is thrown into a landfill, it breaks down and releases methane, a chemical that aids to the thickening of the ozone layer and the production of greenhouse gases. Essentially, composting stops this process in its tracks, instead diverting the energy toward the enrichment of soil and drastically reducing food waste (according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency).
This exciting event is just one of many lined up to get ready for next year’s environmental expo, Green for Good! We’re sparking inquiry, inspiration and innovation in the field of environmental stewardship–– and we’d like you to come along with us. Find out more about the expo and how you can join the Girl Scouts in going greener.
Register for the Pumpkin Smash and Fall Fest here before October 19!
Autumn is Callng!
There’s clearly a lot to do with the Girl Scouts this fall… and that’s not all. Camping and outdoor programming, council sponsored trips, exciting special events: you name it, Girl Scouts are doing it!
Check out our programs page to explore everything going on this year and the next!