2020 is sure to be a memorable year, and not just for Girl Scouts. In the first year of the new decade, we are expecting a presidential election, important technological and scientific advances, the momentous 100th anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment, and continued efforts toward civil rights.
Looking Back at 2019
Before we look to the future in the next decade, take a look back at some highlights from 2019!
At Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana (GSGCNWI), we’re also gearing up for the 2020 Cookie Season, our exciting environmental expo Green for Good at Navy Pier, brand-new programs and travel opportunities, the Girl Scouts National Convention in Orlando, Florida, and another year full of making memories with our Girl Scout sisters!
Clearly, Girl Scouts have a lot to do in 2020 and beyond. Read on to find out what we’re up to here at GSGCNWI!
Virtual Cookie Rally!
This year, the Cookie Rally is going VIRTUAL! Girl Scouts of all ages, parents/caregivers, troop leaders, and service unit cookie program managers are all cordially invited to “join us” at our Virtual Cookie Rally premiering on Jan. 11! Expect all the fun from a regular Cookie Rally, but now, from wherever your phone or computer is! We’ll be introducing the Cookie Season, sharing tips and tricks, doing fun activities, and much more! You can choose to attend by:
- Enjoying the Virtual Cookie Rally from the comfort of your home;
- Hosting a watch party of your own with your troop or Service Unit;
- Or, join one of our Official Watch Parties! We are getting together on Saturday, January 11 at the Vernon Hills Gathering Place and at the Friendship Center. Register before Jan. 3 to join us!
Your Vote, Your Voice, Your World
2020 is an especially important year in regards to the future of the nation, and it is your duty as a Girl Scout to take a stand and stay informed. If your resolution for the new year is to learn more about politics and advocacy, you will love the girl-led programs coming up for change-makers of all ages.
- Daisies are invited to Camp Greene Wood on Saturday, January 25, for I Vote, You Vote, to learn about how and why we vote!
- Cadettes who are passionate about civic engagement and advocacy are invited to Camp Greene Wood on Saturday, Feb. 8, for Your Voice, Your Vote, a program dedicated to teaching advocacy and civic engagement.
- Juniors are welcome to We the People at Camp Greene Wood on Saturday, Feb. 15, to dive headfirst into the world of U.S. democracy and learn about the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, and more!
- 2020 is the 100th anniversary of the passage of the 19th amendment, which gave some women the right to vote in elections. To celebrate, all ages of Girl Scouts are invited to HERstory: Lead Like a Girl! at the Friendship Center on Saturday, Mar. 21, or at the Vernon Hills Gathering Place on Saturday, Mar. 28.
Going Green for Good
Something big is coming: our environmental expo Green for Good on May 9 at Navy Pier!
Young people (not just Girl Scouts) and their families are invited to the Green for Good expo to be inspired to speak up, change habits, cultivate new ideas, dialogue with industry leaders, and learn about issues that matter to our environment. We’re sparking innovation, creativity, advocacy, and action.
Leading up to the expo, we’ll have events, service opportunities, and patch programs to help you Go Green for Good! Stay tuned for more information about the expo in the new year.
Auld Lang Syne
In 2020, Girl Scouts will continue the legacy that Juliette Gordon Low created, but with a contemporary twist. Girl Scouts are going digital, going global, and going forward. They are changing their international and local communities through their innovative service projects and highest awards. They are dedicating themselves to causes that matter to them and fighting for racial, gender, and socioeconomic equality.
We are so proud to be a part of the movement fighting for the empowerment of young women and girls. Thank you for your contributions, membership, service, and support. Happy holidays and Happy New Year to you and yours!
See ya in 2020!