This month, we’re taking action, standing tall, and giving back to our communities. Join a Take Action workshop, a financial literacy webinar with Morgan Stanley, and other special interest groups! We’re also having some late fall fun together– don’t miss the chance to smash some pumpkins at our in-person Pumpkin Smash and Fall Fest!
Read on to learn more about this month’s in-person and virtual programs with Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana (GSGCNWI)!
Virtual Programs for All Ages (K-12 and Adults)
In November, girls of all ages will:
- Make delicious brunch together during French Toast Friday on Nov. 6.
- Keep the good deeds going with our Community Service Sundays on Nov. 8 and 22!
- Explore the outdoors after dark and discover fun ways to enjoy the beauty of the night at Nighttime Wonders on Nov. 10!
- Take it outside and learn how to make your next shopping trip a success on Nov. 17.
- Just for fun, dish it out with us! We’re hosting a cooking competition on Nov. 20, and you’re invited!
- Finish off the month with a Campfire Singalong on Nov. 27!
Pumpkin Smash and Fall Fest
It is pumpkin-smashing season! Join us for our third annual in-person Pumpkin Smash event from Nov. 6-8 at Camp Greene Wood and unite with others in the effort to help divert compostable material from landfills. Bring over your old pumpkins and SMASH them with us. If you don’t want to stay to smash your pumpkin, you can just drop it off, but please still register so we know you’re coming!
Want to do more? Attend our Fall Fest on Sunday, Nov. 8 either before or after smashing your pumpkin! We’re making fall-themed crafts, adventuring through the forest, going on spooky hikes, and more, so don’t miss out.
Democracy Badge Webinars
Have you ever been curious about how our government functions, and how we elect officials? Now is a great time to learn! Together, we’ll learn the branches of government and find out what keeps our towns and states running! You’ll even learn the ins and outs of voting and governing, all while earning part of the Democracy badge for your level.
Take Action Workshops
Juniors, Cadettes, Seniors, and Ambassadors looking to earn a Highest Award or complete a Journey are welcome to our Take Action workshops this Nov. 4! We’ll cover the differences between community service and taking-action, and how to best plan a take-action project. Come ready to brainstorm!
Financial Literacy with Morgan Stanley
Juniors and Cadettes are invited to join our financial literacy badge starter workshops with Morgan Stanley on Nov. 18. Together, we’ll work on activities, learn financial literacy basics, and have time for participating adults to talk to a Morgan Stanley representative and ask questions, and get started on the Business Owner and Financing My Future badges!
Special Interest Groups
We now offer special interest groups for Girl Scouts looking to get a little more out of a special interest of theirs; these groups include a book club for Cadettes, a virtual hangout space for older Girl Scouts, an all-ages Astronomy Club, and Career Conversations for older Girl Scouts.
Day of the Dead Virtual Altar
In Latin America, the dead are remembered – and celebrated – in a unique way every year. Día de Los Muertos, the Day of the Dead, is celebrated on November 2, All Souls’ Day, with colorful, joyous altars filled with mementos and photos of their beloved dead.
This year, GCNWI is creating a Day of the Dead Virtual Altar where you may place a remembrance of someone in your life who has died. To participate, simply submit your digital photos, mementos, and keepsakes to our website, and we’ll share those with everyone on a “virtual altar” to be released during Day of the Dead!
Programs for Adults and Volunteers
- Take care of your superpowers at the virtual LEAP (Leader Enrichment Activity Program) on Saturday, Nov. 7! Join sessions all day long like our book club, tai chi lesson, educational sessions on Juliette Gordon Low, and so much more.
- This month for Adult Volunteer Enrichment on Nov. 2, we give thanks and give back! Join us as we discuss ways to give service, and hear from some community members whose organizations have been enriched by Girl Scout service.
- Volunteers, get all of your travel questions answered at a virtual happy hour on Nov. 17! Our GCNWI Global Action Volunteer Team and our Senior Travel Program Manager will be online to guide you and your troop with future travels and share fun adventure stories.
- New leaders, come together on Nov. 17 with other new leaders to share ideas, ask questions, and network!
November is Coming!
Looking for programs for a specific age-group? Follow these links to find them: