Each year Girl Scouts across the country come together to celebrate Girl Scout Week, which is observed the week around March 12- the “Girl Scout Birthday”- and is filled with many traditions.
This year we’re breaking the mold and celebrating the ENTIRE MONTH! Frankly, after the year we’ve all had, seven days isn’t enough for us to say thank you to you all for keeping the Girl Scout heartbeat strong.
- Register for a program, get a FREE Kellogg’s Wellbeing Kit
- Girl Scout Week- With Girl Scout Sunday, Sabbath, Jummah, Girl Scout Birthday and more!
- #GIRLFest- virtual program for all ages!
- The first ever Girl Scout Picture Day!
- Meet our CEO and Board President!
Read on for an overview of everything happening this month!
Spring and Summer Programs are Open Now!
To kickoff Girl Scout Month, current GCNWI members can get a FREE Wellbeing Kit when you register for a GCNWI program! We are so excited to share with all the amazing programs we have in store, including new opportunities in outdoor programming, STEAM, leadership, social-emotional learning and more!
Girl Scout Week (March 7-13)
Get empowered and celebrate this week by participating in the daily activities below!
Sunday, March 7: Girl Scout Empowerment Sunday
- Wear your Girl Scout uniform to worship. Talk with your Girl Scout sisters and family to connect with a local place of worship and learn about how Girl Scouts can be represented on Girl Scout Sunday.
- To help you engage your community of worship during Girl Scout Week, downloadable assets for bulletins and inserts are available here!
- Get your ‘My Promise, My Faith’ Award. Work with your family and faith leaders to gain the pin to celebrate the connection between the Girl Scout Promise and Law and your faith.
- Buy the Girl Scout Sunday patch
Monday, March 8: International Women’s Day
This International Women’s Day we’re empowering girls to speak up! We’re teaming up with The World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) to encourage girls to know their rights and challenge those who abuse them.
- Participate in the #ChooseToChallenge creative challenge and express the change you wish to see through music, video or photography. Submit your challenge or share those ideas with your troop sisters or family.
- For younger girls: Become empowered and register for the Inventor Badge with Chicago Women of Intellectual Property event. You can also read a book or watch a movie about a woman making the world a better place.
- For older girls: Celebrate women’s achievement, discuss the economic gender gap and breaking the glass ceiling at the International Women’s Day; Women at Indeed event.
Tuesday March 9: Empowered to Live Well
- For girls: We’ve teamed up with Kellogg’s to help keep our girls’ mind clear, sharp and stress-free. Learn more about our Kelloggs wellbeing kit and become eligible to get one free when you sign up for a program!
- Watch our series of Mindful Monday videos on YouTube to learn how you can practice mindfulness and positive mental health.
- For Adults: Girl Scout Leader Chat: Funding the Fun
Wednesday, March 10: Empowered to Do Good with UNICEF and Get Outdoors!
- Give back while taking part in fun activities at your next virtual meeting or family gathering with UNICEF Kid Power!
- Sign up for UNICEF Kid Power for free and gain access to over 150 videos of fun activities like dance routines, workouts, yoga and more!
- By participating with this program, your troop can unlock virtual coins to support food banks and will help to support other socially responsible initiatives.
- Bundle up and get outdoors to go for a walk or get started on the Backyard Challenge: Spring Edition
Thursday, March 11: Empowered to Spread the Word
- Think about a time when you felt really empowered after attending a Girl Scout event or experience.
- Recall that story with a friend who is not a Girl Scout and invite them to try Girl Scouts for free!
- Invite friends to celebrate Girl Scout birthday with you tomorrow and learn more about how Juliette Gordon Low became empowered to make a difference for all girls!
Friday, March 12: Girl Scout Birthday and Girl Scout Jummah
- Empower new families to learn more about Girl Scouts and gain access to the Girl Scout Experience.
- Make a gift of $10 in honor of our founding year, and receive the Family Partnership fun patch! Donations will go towards helping girls who are facing hardships become Girl Scouts.
- Attend Awesome Girls: Girls of Faith Celebrating Together
- Get 12% off Girl Scout Birthday products!
Girl Scout Jummah
Observe Jummah and get your Girl Scout Jummah Patch!
Saturday, March 13: Attend #GirlFest and Girl Scout Sabbath
This virtual event will highlight subject-area pathways including STEAM, cultural awareness, outdoors, and active citizenship. Each pathway will feature one hour of programming with multiple fun, girl-led, grade-level- appropriate, and interactive sessions in each pathway, as well as multiple “Mindful Minute” commercial breaks – a chance to close your eyes, breathe, and relax!
Want to have even more fun? Add on our #GIRLfest Event Kit at checkout. This kit will include a patch, t-shirt, and other fun things to help you participate in each pathway.
Girl Scout Sabbath
After attending #GIRLFest, take a moment to rest and reflect on all your work with Girl Scouts. Let those moments inspire you to create new and innovative ways to empower others on what it means to be a Girl Scout.
Girl Scout Picture Days
Grab your favorite Girl Scout gear and get ready for Girl Scout picture day March 12 and 13! Take a picture wearing your Girl Scout gear and send it to us via social media or the submit your story link using the hashtag #girlscoutpictureday to win cool prizes!
Jazz up your photos and use our virtual photo booth that will available on both days. Be sure to check our social media pages for more photo booth information.
Meet the GCNWI CEO and Board President
Celebrate our first ever Girl Scout Month with a virtual meet and greet with the Girl Scout GCNWI CEO, Nancy Wright, and outgoing Board President, Kathy Scherer on March 23 at 6p.m! Grab a snack, your favorite warm drink, and favorite stuffed animal or pet and settle in for a fun evening.
All girls in attendance will receive a free “I Met the CEO” patch and “Future Board Member” patch that will be mailed to your home after the program.
Our Girl Scout forecast is looking bright! We look forward to celebrating the month of March with you and hope you are too!