Traveling with Girl Scouts prepares girls to take on the world around them, whether it’s a mountain to scale or a new metropolis to explore. When Girl Scouts travel, they learn practical skills for the wildest of adventures, skills they carry for their rest of their lives abroad or otherwise. Exploring your own neighborhood; going on overnight camping trips; flying to one of the four World Centres; when you travel with Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana, you’re expanding your horizons.
If you’re considering the beautiful snowy alps of Switzerland someday, on a council or troop trip to Our Chalet, or you just want to have a cultural experience without going too far from home, here are a few ideas to get you dreaming about Switzerland travel.
- Our Chalet is located in Adelboden, Switzerland, a Swiss Alpine village in the Bernese Oberland region. It’s known for the ski resort of Adelboden-Lenk, host of the FIS Ski World Cup. The central village church dates from the 15th century. Outside of town, at Engstligen Falls, several Alpine streams join together to become the Engstligen River. Farther north, the river forms the deep, narrow Choleren Gorge, which is accessible via bridges and walkways. To explore more about Our Chalet in Switzerland, check out the WAGGGS website.
- Load up your bikes or plan a walking day to explore Swiss architecture, food, and more in New Glarus, Wisconsin (about two hours from Chicago). Read more about this Swiss-influenced city!
- A short trip to Rockford, Illinois (just an hour and a half away from Chicago), you will find the Tinker Swiss Cottage Museum and Gardens. Take the guided tour to learn more about the family and their love of Swiss architecture!
- Are you a “foodie?” Try the most iconic dish in Switzerland: Raclette! It is different from fondue, and the Swiss with be impressed you know the difference!
- You will probably see and hear the alpine horn when you are in Switzerland. Watch this video and enjoy the music of the mountains.
We hope you get to explore Switzerland soon, but go ahead and explore what you can in the Chicagoland area!
Join WAGGGS and some incredible speakers, including The Honorable Maryam Monsef, Canada’s Minister for Women and Gender Equality and Rural Economic Development, as they come together to discuss appearance-based discrimination, low body confidence and self-esteem.
While we wait for safer travels, there’s no reason a girl can’t dream! Get inspired by our travel blog posts!