We’ve traveled to Pune, India, Adelboden, Switzerland, and Cuernavaca, Mexico (all stories in our blog!): now, London is calling! Girl Scouts have had amazing opportunities to travel to these World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts World Centre locations, and while these experiences are on pause, there’s no reason we can’t explore and get inspired for the future!
Pax Lodge, located in London, England, is one of the WAGGGS locations you can learn about even from the comfort of your computer, or by exploring British Culture here in the Chicagoland area. Read on to learn how you can get going on your own tour!
- Learn about the British love of tea by learning about different types of tea, perhaps even doing a tea tasting at home! After the pandemic is over, make a plan to enjoy high tea in Chicago at the Palm Court at the Drake Hotel or the Pavilion at The Langham.
- London Guarantee Building at 360 N Michigan Avenue was first built for a British insurance company; today it is the home of the London House Hotel.
- The Great British Baking Show on Netflix has captured the baking dreams of people all over the world. Watch a few episodes and try your hand at some of the recipes!
- Want to try out English food? Check out Pleasant House Pub for a traditional English pie.
- Go on a scavenger hunt on Sherlock Holmes Day, May 22, named in honor of the famed British detective. Learn about Chicago detective history online.
- Everyone loves The Beatles! Learn more about it virtually by visiting The Beatles Story in Liverpool.
- Start a book club and read the Harry Potter (or another British) series together! After you finish reading, watch the films and discuss what was different than the books! With regards to Harry Potter, learn more at Wizarding World online, take quizzes, and learn more about the characters. Want to learn about Harry Potter even in Chicagoland? Go to Hero Coffee, Pickwick Lane (so very Diagon Alley-esque). Head to your local magic shop (might we suggest Magic, Inc.?).
- Castles abound in England. Explore the English Heritage sites virtually and the Royal Residences. After the pandemic, plan to take a short road trip to Givins Castle in Beverly, Chicago, Clayshire Castle in Indiana, or Ravenstone Castle in Harvard, Illinois.
- In the summer, London swells with people shopping at markets. Most famous is the Portobello Road market, very similar to the Maxwell Street Market in Chicago.
- While Brits may play some of the same sports as we Americans do, why not try one of their oft-played sports like badminton or cricket? Watch Bend It Like Beckham, a movie about girl soccer (called football in England!) players.
- How do you get around the big city of London? Find out more about the London Underground and the famous Tube Map. How does it compare to Chicago’s CTA, Metra, and Pace transit systems?
Travel expands your horizons; travel as a Girl Scout and you can take that experience and add leadership skills and a sisterhood to back you up. Whether you’re interested in going abroad to Paris or exploring the states, you can go with Girl Scouts. Learn more on our website!
- Looking back at Summer Camp 2021!
- Tips and Tricks for Planning a Local Trip!
- Girl Scout Alum and Volunteer Carol Macola Honored in Operation Herstory Honor Flight
- Apply to be a National Delegate for the National Council Session!
- Volunteer Spotlight: Cyndee Timmerman!
Help make travel adventures like these possible for more Girl Scouts through the GCNWI Travel Scholarship! Scholarship funds provide girls facing financial hardship with the resources to plan and pursue travel, from council-sponsored day trips to international journeys through the Destinations program. Together, we can help Girl Scouts become more knowledgeable, compassionate citizens of the world through global programming and travel opportunities.