From your own backyard to the great outdoors to international cities, traveling as a Girl Scout unlocks a world full of possibilities. When Girl Scouts travel, they embark on the journey of a lifetime with their Girl Scout sisters, taking home precious memories, breathtaking photos, and the confidence it takes to start their own globetrotting adventures.
Visiting Sangam, the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts’ World Centre in Pune, India, has been a life-changing experience for many of our Girl Scouts. While we patiently wait for international travel, let’s get to know Indian culture a little better at home.
- Use a map of India (or the Internet) and locate the following places:
- Pune (the location of Sangam)
- What are the largest cities on the map?
- How many countries border India?
- Find an Indian restaurant near you and learn about what they serve.
- What types of dishes are on the menu?
- Do they use ingredients you’ve never heard of? If so, look them up!
- There are many types of regional Indian foods: find out which variety they serve. What makes this type different?
- If possible, order some food and try out their different dishes! What’s your favorite?
- OR find some recipes online and try your hand at making some of the dishes!
- Learn “Come into Sangam,” Sangam’s official song! You can download the words, learn it, and sing it on their website! You can also find other Sangam favorites on this site!
- Have you ever read any books set in India or watched any films or tv shows? Call your local library or search online for some. Here are some suggestions:
- Film: Bride and Prejudice, Period: End of Sentence, Lion, Gandhi, and many other Bollywood films!
- Book: Born Confused by Tanuja Desai Hidier, Climbing the Stairs by Padma Venkatraman, Around India in 80 Trains by Monisha Rajesh
- Learn all about the Sari and create one out of items in your house!
- What do you know about one of India’s most famous buildings, The Taj Mahal, and its history and its secrets?
- Check out the videos on the UNESCO site
- Learn about marble inlay art that decorates the Taj Mahal
- Try to build your own version of the Taj Mahal!
- Make your own model of the Taj Mahal buildings, using white paper and coloring them to reflect the marble inlay!
- Do you have lots of Legos in your house? See if you can make a LEGO version, and this video is a fun one to watch to guide you!
- Learn about one of India’s big festivals, such as Diwali or Holi.
- Check out Sangam on their information page on wagggs.org, YouTube, Facebook, or Instagram. Take a virtual tour of Sangam and then start daydreaming!
While we wait for safer travels, there’s no reason a girl can’t dream! Get inspired by our travel blog posts!
- Girls Like Bugs, Too! Spark Day at Rose Pest Solutions
- “They changed my life.” The Heartfelt Story of Troop 56505
- A Girl Scout Treasure: The Herstory of Heidi Gannon
- Thank You for Powering Community at Tribute to Achievement
- Powering Community at Tribute to Achievement
Help make travel adventures like these possible for more Girl Scouts through the GCNWI Travel Scholarship! Scholarship funds provide girls facing financial hardship with the resources to plan and pursue travel, from council-sponsored day trips to international journeys through the Destinations program. Together, we can help Girl Scouts become more knowledgeable, compassionate citizens of the world through global programming and travel opportunities.